Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Leather sword baldric

A little while back I made a paper pattern for an 18th century leather sword baldric, see the previous post.  Using I do not have a lot of spare leather left over from custom orders, but recently I did so I cut out some 3mm vegetable tanned leather and stitched it together with some tan linen thread. After it was finished I coated it in mink oil to slightly change the colour and to waterproof it, it will also change colour with age and should look very authentic with time. The nice replica 18th century buckle was purchased from Canada , overall it turned out pretty well for my 1st ever sword baldric and the scabbard fits nice and tightly into the baldric keeping the sword secure when moving. Pictured below are a few photos of the finished item .