Friday, 10 June 2016

Replica 18th century sporran

Many years ago before I discovered the joys of leather craft a good friend of mine here in Niigata City named Kenta made the sporran pictured below. While the sporran can not be verified 100% to the period , it is very simple and has been my go to sporran for everyday wear now for several years. Over time it has aged and had a few minor repairs but is the perfect size for what I need to carry. This pattern called for it to be suspended from a sporran strap , which may be wrong as originally this type of sporran most likely would have been fastened directly to the kilt belt rather that being on a separate strap. Hidden underneath the horn slice is a magnetic fastener that keeps it closed , which is quite farby but works very well. If I made this type of sporran myself I would change the fastening system to something more authentic.



No comments:

Post a Comment