Tuesday, 5 January 2016

18th century footwear

While I usually wear 1758 shoes from Fugawee in the USA , which are either latchet or lace up shoes I have been thinking about making something lighter and cooler for the summer so have started researching the various types of shoes that were used in 18th century Scotland. By most accounts these lightweight simple lace up shoes lasted only about a month in regular use due to the rough ground. The type of footwear pictured below is an example of replica shoes or an artists impression on what they might have looked like. Some of my fellow Jacobite reenacting friends are helping me with my research and until I find more information I will not start making any at all. But to give you an idea of what they may look like I have attached some pictures below.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment