Saturday, 25 July 2015

18th century blackjack

Even though I'm still quite new to leather craft I love a challenge and as I recently made a costrel ( leather water bottle ) I thought I'd try my hand at making an 18th century blackjack which is basically a leather beer mug. After doing a lot of research online I finally found a nice traditional pattern which I then copied and altered to suit the piece of 40cm x 40cm - 7mm thick vege tan cow hide that I purchased from a local leather shop. It it quite a long process to cut, sew and shape a blackjack and really I should have a wooden form on which dry it upon , but for this 1st trial one I'm using a pint glass turn upside down. When the leather shrinks and drys it may break the glass , but as I'm only up to the stage I'll have to wait and see what happens. Pictured below is my progress so far.















No comments:

Post a Comment